[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, recognition

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Aug 28 15:45:01 PDT 2001

Muiredach asked a question:
> I'm a mundane chef by trade.  <> It kinda grates me a little to think of
the fact that if I want any kind of
> "recognition" in the SCA, I'd have to apprentice again.  >

        Hello!
    You can do as this gracious fellow did this past weekend for me: "hi,
I'm a professional chef, can I help?" I can tell you I had an apron on him
faster than you can say "Chef Boy-R-Dee"

    That's how I got started when I moved here to Artemisia.  Tho I'm no
professional cook (unless being a Mom counts)   I started appearing with
apron in hand, and saying "I'm here to help, and I know how to wield a
spoon"  then moved on to contacting the Head Cook ahead of time, saying I'd
be willing to help.  I've taught classes on redacting, and showing peope how
easy cooking can be; and have written some articles for our Kingdom's  Arts&
Sciences magazine.

Caointiarn
kitchen wench extraordinaire