[Sca-cooks] How to keep picnic foods fresh

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Aug 28 19:38:54 PDT 2001

We purchased one of the new Coleman silver coolers
this summer that have been advertised to keep ice frozen
for 5 days in 90 degree heat. My husband and son left with it loaded
on Monday am for cub scout residence camp in the way over
90 degree heat. It sat in a tent... never a cool spot. They
returned late Wednesday night with 2/3's of the original ice still
in it. Leftover food was cold. They had been in and out of it
during the camp, so it wasn't a matter that it had never been open.
We used it again in August and reloaded an extra 10 pounds of ice
in, despite not really needing it. This was over a 5 day period.
They are pretty nice for coolers.
Johnnae llyn Lewis Johnna Holloway