Steak Tartar (Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Capers caper)

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Tue Aug 28 22:10:04 PDT 2001

> > Chopped, it's part of a "proper" steak tartar.
>
>Raw steak, right? So, there's more to this than taking the steak out
>of the freezer, thawing it and serving it?

Err, yeah, there's a little bit more to it than that :-)

First of all, it's not just *any* steak, it's got to be fillet mignon.  It
also has to be fresh, never frozen.  The cell structure changes when it
gets frozen, even if flash frozen and properly thawed, this would change
the texture of the final product, which would be unacceptable.

There are concerns here for nasties living on the meat's surface.  That is
one of the many reasons I'd not have it in a restaurant.  So when I prepare
tartare, I remove the surface of the meat, and discard it (actually, put
aside for stir fries and stuff).  Chop it really finely with a knife.  Some
techniques call for a double knife chop.  Some people do it in the
"cuisinart", I don't particularly like the texture it gives out.

Mix with varying quantities of ingredients to flavour the whole
thing.  Dijon mustard, egg yolk, tabasco sauce, chopped capers, chopped
shallots (French), mignonette (freshly coarsly ground black
peppercorn).  Some people will add to this basic mix, but I wouldn't stray
too much.  It has to remain fairly simple.

I make a mean steak tartare, even if I do say so myself.  My wife would at
times beg me for it.  She'd also ask for my chocolate mousse as dessert :-)

> > Now, mind you, none of these are likely to be all that period :-)
>
>Yes, but a useful message none the less.

Glad *someone* thought it was helpful :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout