[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 29 07:27:34 PDT 2001

I am not an expert on politics or how to achieve a peerage, but here
in Aethelmearc if you become an apprentice it seems to put you on the
'fast track' for peerage.

Which is too bad, what I mean is that it looks like it to others. I
can't say whether or not it's true because I hadn't been watching how
things work until about 2 years ago when I became Seneschal, and now
I am no longer seneschal, I found another victi...oops volunteer so I
probably will never notice.

I have to admit though that I have been 'recognized' a lot for the
cooking I have done.  I have had people say, "Oh I don't usually go
on board but I knew you were cooking so I did."  I have also gotten a
service award, which was for cooking and for being deputy seneschal,
and also an arts and science award for cooking/researching recipes
etc. without being an apprentice.  The arts and science award (a
sycamore) came totally out of the blue, and I still wonder if I
deserved it.

I think someone previously mentioned the way I would look at having
to 'do another apprenticeship' so to speak.  A way to gain knowledge
about medieval cooking.  While I don't consider myself an expert on
medieval cooking, I know they did quite a few things differently than
our first way of doing things.  Like thickening agents, we tend to
use flour or arrowroot or cornstarch, some medieval recipes use bread
crumbs or other things that are new world.  So I would look on it as
a way to learn new techniques.

	Angeline