[Sca-cooks] what is???

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 29 09:34:09 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/29/01 11:48:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Seton1355 at aol.com writes:
>

>>What is a sous-chef
>>
> I believe a sous-chef is an assisstent chef.

Exactly.

> Sort of like the guy who peels
> potatoes or chops the carrots for the regular chef.

Normally, no. The sous chef is the assistant chef, but that normally includes doing the chef's job when the chef is not on site, which could include any and all management functions, participation in menu planning and design, ordering, quality control, etc. Sometimes the sous chef acts as head line cook (which is often the head sautee/saucier position, especially when you have an executive chef who doesn't work the line). Most of the sous chefs I've encountered (and I've done the job, although never had the title) have had all of the headaches of actually being in charge, with little or none of the benefits, except it's considered a way of "paying your dues" before becoming a chef de cuisine or an executive chef in one's own right.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com