[Sca-cooks] what is???

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Aug 29 09:56:54 PDT 2001

>> What is a sous-chef
>I believe a sous-chef is an assisstent chef. Sort of like the guy who peels
>potatoes or chops the carrots for the regular chef.

There's the head chef, who comes up with the recipes and oversees the
kitchen, and ensures proper flow (the right dishes getting to the right
customers all at the same time), I believe, and who does the Major Cooking.
The sous-chef is the one who ensures that the recipes are followed, does a lot
of cooking and prepwork (like sauce-making, and garnishing) and such. There
are those lower down on the food chain who spend most
of their time peeling, chopping, cleaning, and washing up afterward.
Think of a sous-chef as assistant head of kitchen/head chef in training, and
you get the idea.

I think.

Alban