[Sca-cooks] garam marsala

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Aug 29 19:29:59 PDT 2001

""> My version has:
"">
""> 2  parts volume Freshly Ground Clove,
""> 8  parts volume Freshly Ground Cumin Seed,
""> 12 parts volume Freshly Ground Green Cardamom Seeds (no Pods),
""> 12 parts volume Freshly Ground Cinnamon Quills,
""> 2  parts volume Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
""> 1  part  volume Freshly Ground Ajowain (optional)
"">
""> There would be other versions I'm sure.  Most indian cooks would
have
""> their own tried and true recipe....
"">
""> Drakey.
""
""Two questions.
""
""How does one get the cardamom out of the pods? (I always buy mine
""already free and clear of the little pod)

Use a fingernail to split the pod and gently invert.  The seeds are
loose inside.  I always buy pods if I can get then as they keep the
seeds fresher.

""and
""
""WHAT is a cinnamon quill? I have heard of cinnamon "sticks", even
cassia
""sticks, but never quills.

Quill, stick.  It's the same thing...

Drake.