Steak Tartar (Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Capers caper)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 29 20:52:44 PDT 2001

Muiredach mac Loloig replied to my question about steak tartare with:
> There are concerns here for nasties living on the meat's surface.  That is
> one of the many reasons I'd not have it in a restaurant.  So when I prepare
> tartare, I remove the surface of the meat, and discard it (actually, put
> aside for stir fries and stuff).  Chop it really finely with a knife.  Some
> techniques call for a double knife chop.  Some people do it in the
> "cuisinart", I don't particularly like the texture it gives out.

We have had discussions here previously about how close hamburger or
ground meats approximate the similar period meat treatment, which
would be finely chopping it with a knife, which you seem to have
actually done.

How would you compare the textures? How much time does it take you
to finely chop it enough?

> Mix with varying quantities of ingredients to flavour the whole
> thing.  Dijon mustard, egg yolk, tabasco sauce, chopped capers, chopped
> shallots (French), mignonette (freshly coarsly ground black
> peppercorn).  Some people will add to this basic mix, but I wouldn't stray
> too much.  It has to remain fairly simple.

Is this a raw egg yolk? Or one from a hardboiled egg?

Thanks. this steak tartare has been mentioned several times on this
list previously. Now I have an idea of what it really is.

> I make a mean steak tartare, even if I do say so myself.  My wife would at
> times beg me for it.  She'd also ask for my chocolate mousse as dessert :-)

I'm still not sure about this raw meat. However this chocolate mousse
sounds like it might be even better... recipe, please?

Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net