[Sca-cooks] Re: Steak Tartar + Chocolate mousse recipe

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Wed Aug 29 22:12:26 PDT 2001

>How would you compare the textures? How much time does it take you
>to finely chop it enough?

You need a very, very sharp knife, but then, don't you always?  I prefer a
10" henckels four star, though there are other decent knives out there
<wink>.  The speed at which it happens entirely depends on you, your
ability and level of technique.  I start by slicing the piece of meat as
thinly as the meat will let me.  Then I cut the slices in long strips, then
cube the strips in small cubes.  By this time, the meat is almost all in
small pieces about 1 or 2 mm square.  That doesn't really take much
time.  I then finish by chopping/rocking knife back and forth.  I cut the
meat real fine.  Not too fine, you need to have the meat texture there.

This is why the robot-coupe (cuisinart) doesn't work, IM(NS)HO.  Makes too
thin, fine a chop, nearly destroys the meat fiber.  Modern hamburger also
has too fine a grind.  Though if it were ground with a big "grill", only
once, it *might* be acceptable.  Would have to be done right away, as
otherwise the beef would loose lots of it's qualities.  Were you to take it
between index and thumb, and squish, with hand cut meat, you'll feel little
lumps, with hamburger it'll squish and come apart, and with robot-coupe,
it'll squish though might hold together.

Not a very good description.  Better to be able to see, touch, feel the
thing to get "it".

>Is this a raw egg yolk? Or one from a hardboiled egg?

Raw, raw, yes most definitely.  Look for pasteurized eggs if you're worried
about beasties and nasties.  Myself, i dont' bother.  I've been doing the
raw egg yolk thing in mayonaise and other assorted food stuff for the past
32 years of my life (I'm 32...).  Never had a problem.  I might get in
trouble, but heck, I'd rather take a bit of a risk on it, and enjoy myself
in the meantime!

>I'm still not sure about this raw meat. However this chocolate mousse
>sounds like it might be even better... recipe, please?

Sure, find it below.  It's a little different from other recipes, in that
the whipping cream is NOT whipped.  I prefer to use Valrhonna chocolate
when I can find it.  I also always bake in weighted measurements.  Much
more precise, though it might drive you a little nuts if you're not used to
it :-)

  500      g             Semisweet chocolate
  100      g             Egg yolk
  360      g             Egg white
  100      g             Sugar
  200      g             Whipping cream

PREPARATION:
-Melt the chocolate in the micro-wave at medium power.
-Add the cream to the chocolate.  Mix.
-Add the egg yolks to this mix.
-Beat the egg whites with the sugar over a bain-marie untill they
form  hard peaks.
-Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.
-Pour or pipe in serving dishes.
-Let set for a few hours before eating.

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire