[Sca-cooks] Mooneschadowe Guardian German Feast

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Aug 30 05:42:08 PDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:32:49 -0500 you wrote:

> Bear replied to Liadan about the new site for her feast:
> > 20 qt Hobart, commercial convection oven running 25 degrees off, 2 standard
> > commercial ovens one of which has a fritzed thermostat, 10 foot stainless
> > table with sink, commercial baker's rack and trays.

Bear, please correct me if I'm wrong:

> What's a "Hobart"?
A Hobart is a commercial mixer.  Able to handle anything we want to mix
together. Works wonderfully on bread and cookie doughs.  Never seen one get
clogged up and stop.

> > Light rye, Semmel and Spanish pastries (unyeasted) for 140 to give us some
> > margin.
> >
> > If the convection oven is running, we're in good shape.  It can be done with
> > one of the commercials, but it will be an all nighter.
>
> A convection oven bakes faster than a commercial oven? Why? What's the
> differance between the two? I assume this is due to a type differance
> and not just a size differance.
A convection oven not only heats like a conventional oven, it has a fan(s) that
push hot air around the oven, too.  In my experience, convection ovens work
great on pastries and breads, but when I roasted a chicken, the skin was too
tough to cut, although the meat was juicy and tender.

> > I'll make sure the
> > thermometers are in the work box and I'll need to dig up a dough knife to
> > work the pastries.
>
> How does a "dough knife" vary from other knives?
If I have the right picture, it's more of a scraper with a wooden edge on one
side.  When you're making pastry and it wants to stick, you use the dough knife
to scrape the board, then reflour.  The side opposite the wood is sharp enough
to cut the dough.

Liadan