[Sca-cooks] Mooneschadowe Guardian German Feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 30 05:08:34 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> What's a "Hobart"?

As has been said, a brand of commercial mixer. Generally large and powerful.

> A convection oven bakes faster than a commercial oven? Why? What's the
> differance between the two? I assume this is due to a type differance
> and not just a size differance.

Actually, size may be part of it; a standard Vulcan-type oven usually
has two racks, while a good convection oven frequently has at least
three. However, the main thing is the convection; regular ovens (at
least gas or electric ones) usually have a hot spot, near the heating
element or the hot air vent, depending on type, with the rest of the
oven being _comparatively_ cool. This means you generally have to keep
switching the pans around to get even browning, etc., and overall the
baking process is slower. In a convection oven there's a fairly powerful
fan, meaning there are no real hot spots, and also allowing you to crowd
the oven a bit, as the hot air gets evenly distributed even if you _do_
crowd the oven.

Unfortunately, it's been _known_ to happen that a piece of foil used to
protect some puff pastry can then blow around the oven and get caught in
the fan blades, causing untold havoc until some clear-thinking, heroic
type fixes the thing in a simple, straightforward manner...

> How does a "dough knife" vary from other knives?

I can't really answer this one, unless we're talking about a bench
scraper; it looks like a steel spatula/pancake turner without a handle,
or rather the handle (wood, steel or plastic) is on the upper edge of
the steel rectangle. It's used to divide dough, clean excess flour
and/or dough scraps off pastry boards, to lift up half a pound of
chopped onion at a time, that sort of thing. Generally it relies only on
being thin steel for its sharpness; it has no sharpened edge to speak of.
Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com