[Sca-cooks] Re: Brie Period?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 30 08:11:36 PDT 2001

The following is a recipe I redacted for use at a feast I did some years ago.  You
will note that this herbed cheese goes back to Roman times:

Cheese Round with Herbs

Recipe By Appendix Vergiliana, Moretum
Servings 104
Categories
Appetizers

65 each garlic clove
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup rue
1/2 cup coriander
3/8 cup salt grains
6 1/2 pounds soft cheese (ricotta)
1/2 cup olive oil
7/8 cup balsamic vinegar

In a mortar grind the garlic, then the fresh soft cheese, and finally the herbs
(use celery leaf or parsley), so that these ingredients are thoroughly blended.
The mixture can be moistened with olive oil, followe by a small amount of strong
vinegar. Form the mixture into a round and chill.

Redacted by Minowara Kiritsubo from directions in "A Taste of Ancient Rome",
translated from the Latin.

Notes : Recipe is from a poem whose protagonist was a farmer, Moretum. From A
Taste of Ancient Rome.

Kiri