[Sca-cooks] RE: Butter and Brie and Yams, Oh my!

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 30 08:26:09 PDT 2001

I think we have to temper our desire to be totally period with a knowledge of
what's available.  Obviously we can't do feasts that are always 100%
period...even if we knew where we could find ingredients that were identical to
what was used in period, they would probably be prohibitively expensive.  And
I'm not so sure we know with any degree of certainty what was actually used,
especially in sense you're talking about.  Things like milk and butter will be
different not just because what we're using is pasturized, etc., but also
because the cows may well have eaten a different mix of greens/grain/grass than
what they get now.  You just have to say to yourself that you can only carry
this thing so far.

For example:  the dish I took to the potluck was a Middle Eastern date dish.
Stuffed dates.  The original recipe said to take fresh dates and let them dry in
the sun for 2 days.  Now, where I am, I don't have access to fresh dates, so
must use dates that have been dried.  When Ras (the original "let's do
everything absolutely period" member of this list...along with His Grace,
Cariadoc) and I talked about my redaction at Pennsic, he wanted to know why I
didn't perform that first step.  When I told him, he said that I did what was
necessary for a feast or for this potluck.  However, quoth he, I should, perhaps
look up one of the recipes for making fresh dates out of dried, do that, then
try sun-drying the dates just to see if it made a difference.  Even Ras admitted
that we have to bow to necessity when cooking a feast!

Kiri (hoping this will help with your depression.....)