[Sca-cooks] garam marsala

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 16:24:01 PDT 2001

In a message dated 08/29/2001 9:52:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
alm4 at cornell.edu writes:

> In the tandori chicken it says to use garam marsala.  I went to the local
> tops market which has a decent indian aisle and they had a whole bunch of
> other marsalas but not garam marsala.  Does anyone know what is usually in
> garam marsala?
>
> BTW, I get the impression a marsala is a mixture of spices such a
> fenugreek, chiles, cinnamon, nutmeg.  Can't remember what else.

according to Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking:

1 tablespoon Cardamom seeds
a 2 inch stick of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of black cumin (use regula cumin seeds as a substitute)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 of an average sized nutmeg

Place all the ingredients in a clean electric coffee-grinder (or any other
spice grinder).  Turn the machine on for 30-40 seconds or until the spices
are finely ground.  Store in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid.  Keep away
from heat and sunlight.

I keep mine in the freezer.

She also says that there are as many recipes for garam masala as there are
households in India so go ahead and make any adjustments your taste or panty
dictates.

Margherita the Weaver