[Sca-cooks] Bulgogi (was A Correction for the list)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Aug 31 12:46:09 PDT 2001

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Bulgogi is thin sliced red meat marinaded for several hours in a mixture of
> soy sauce, saki, sesame oil, sesame salt and red pepper flakes, then stir
> fried in a really hot skillet or wok.  It's served with a sprinkle of
> toasted sesame seeds.

Hmmmmm....never had it fried.  I actually have a bulgogi cooker...a sort of
domed metal thingey with holes punched in the domed part and a kind of trough
around the bottom.  Water is put into the trough, and the cooker gets placed
over a charcoal fire, and the marinated beef gets placed on the domed part over
the holes.  After one side cooks for a couple of minutes, the meat is turned and
the other side cooked.  Alternately, this can be done with a broiler pan in the
oven.  The water serves to keep the meat moist.  I'll try to remember to bring
the recipe downstairs with me next time I log in and share it with you folks.

Note:  To be truly authentic, the top I describe above would have been set on
top of a kind of brazier affair with a charcoal fire (coals glowing).  I have
one of these...it's solid brass and stands on 3 feet.  It's about a foot and a
half at the opening, maybe 8 inches deep and with a 3-4" wide lip.  The feet
lift it above the ground about 5 - 7 inches.

Kiri