[Sca-cooks] fortified wines

Robert Garnett carnelian at inet.net.nz
Fri Aug 31 16:44:06 PDT 2001

>Hi All,
>
>So, for each of these three, what is the wine they start with? Is that
>wine also sold? Or does all of it go through this process?

For port-
The best port comes from Portugal and there are very strict rules governing
it's production. The grapes used are as follows, Red wine varietals are:
Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Francesa, Touriga
Nacional and Tinto Cão; predominant white grape varietals are Malvasia
Fina, Viosinho , Donzelinho and Gouveio. Not all of the grapes used are
made into port, the remainder is made into table wine.

Sherry
Palomino Fino, Pedro Ximénez, Moscatel. I know not all of the grapes are
made into Sherry as I have tasted Predo Ximenez wine and it was very nice.

Madeira
varietals, Malvasia, Serciai, Boal, Verdelho and Tinta da Madeira. don't
know anything else sorry.

Duncan.