[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 10:14:57 PDT 2001

and Adamantius wrote:

>What it does, essentially, is to help break down the emulsion of the
>butterfat into the milk, effectively de-homogenizing it, making for
>firmer curds that haven't been "shortened" by fats.

     It sounds as if the calcium chloride works both on the
pasteurization and the homgenaity of the milk??  It sounds as if you were
to get pasteurized and non-homgenized milk you would have  good results
with a new cheese if you didn't use the calcium chloride.

     What would happen if you would try to make a hard cheese with
pasteurized, non-homgenized milk without using the calcium chloride?

     Elizabeth