[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Cooks' Collegium

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 2 09:25:14 PST 2001

Greetings, all.  I spent a delightful day at the Midrealm Cooks'
Collegium in Windsor, Ontario, yesterday.  Dame Hauviette
coordinated the affair.  Mistress Kiri from Atlantia was the
featured speaker, talking on Japanese cookery and Chinese and Mongol
influences.  Unfortunately, "real life bit" several folk and some of
the anticipated sessions had to be cancelled.  While the classes
were good (and began raising more questions than answers, which is
an interesting development in one's scholarly life), the potluck
dinner was excellent.  There was more food than could be eaten, with
asaphoetida "crackers", smoked goat,
venison stew, cooked mushrooms and olives, chastelets with various
foods inside the towers, canishones, some sort of crunchy almond
"candy", and wow! a fresh cheese coated in a flavored sugar syrup,
and much, much more.  The delicious pickled asparagus nearly did me
in when the vinegar squirted on a sensitive part of my throat and I
began to cough and choke!  Poor Lady Sara was accused of trying to
poison the Midrealm Princess, which accusation was made worse when
she admitted to moving to Atenveldt in the near future.  (She is
going to be an asset for period cookery there.  She did our Crown
Tourney feast and it was superb!)  Who else on the List went and
what did you like?

Alys Katharine