[Sca-cooks] Baking info

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 2 20:24:00 PST 2001

Johan said:
> My main interest is/would be period baking, but time is limited and I have
> to, probably like everyone else, squeeze that between the rest of mundane
> life.:)

Well, since you do blacksmithing and forge work you have some experience
with fire. Late in period coal was used in cooking fires and I imagine
charcoal earlier.

Perhaps you might want to combine both your blacksmithing and cooking
interests and try your hand at various period cooking utensils.

> Going to delve into your Florilegium files for some period baking recipes
> and try them out.
>
> Any recommendations?

Well, yes. :-)
For smithing the cooking utensils mentioned above:
spits-msg         (14K)  7/20/01    Period and SCA spits for roasting meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/spits-msg.html
utensils-msg     (166K)  4/11/01    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast
iron pots.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/utensils-msg.html

If you haven't seen them, there are also some blacksmithing files in
the CRAFTS section. Some of the info may be elementary to you, but
perhaps some of it will be new. And I will accept comments by email
that I can add to these files.

On ovens:
ovens-msg         (66K)  1/21/00    Medieval ovens and SCA camp ovens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/ovens-msg.html
camp-ovens-msg    (51K) 10/19/00    Small period and SCA camp ovens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-ovens-msg.html

For baking, check the files in the FOOD-BREADS section, where there
is a lot of good info and recipes from one of our baking experts on
this list, Bear. Here are just a few from this section:
bread-msg        (185K)  9/19/01    Medieval breads and grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/bread-msg.html
breadmaking-msg  (206K) 11/15/01    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/breadmaking-msg.html
flour-msg         (52K)  4/ 3/01    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/flour-msg.html
wafers-msg        (72K)  3/30/01    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net