[Sca-cooks] non-cooking parents and ice

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Thu Dec 6 09:40:21 PST 2001

> Jared learned to cook out of self-defense. ...  His mother would have been
quite bewildered, I suspect.

> Selene, Caid

Hey, I thought *I* came up with that phrase! 8-) Mother doesn't understand
why anyone would want to buy a cookbook (she gave her copy of the Joy of
Cooking to me in a formal handing-over-the-kitchen gesture when I was
twelve-ish), any cookbook, much less read them for pleasure. She doesn't
cook, period; they buy microwave dinners only, she stores the silver in the
oven since there's no chance of it being turned on, and her traditional
potluck contribution to office parties is sliced veggies from the grocery
salad bar.

This is why my childhood comfort foods are black olives, straight from the
can, and mashed potatoes. She would be nonplussed at the discussions on or
even the existence of this list.

But it doesn't skip a generation either. Her mother has no interest in
cooking (though at least she recognizes good food when she is served it).
And my great grandmother was (in)famous for her lack of culinary skills.
Caused quite a scandal when she brought new-fangled sliced bread to a church
picnic, in fact.

> Do you think I own an ice scraper?  NoooOOooo, had
> to use my little patty-paws with fast-food serviettes.
>
> Selene

Speaking from an area that doesn't get ice often enough to justify keeping
the darn ice scraper where I can find it...the jewel cases that cds come in
make perfect ice scrapers in a pinch. And those are as constantly underfoot
as toy cars are at my house.

Lann (who got her AoA after years of service and was surprised by it. Though
the shaking wasn't, as everyone teased, from excitement. I was co autocrat
for the event and was really that exhausted by Saturday night. I don't
delegate well enough to autocrat Kingdom-level events and haven't done
anything on that scale since for the non SCA groups I still participate in.)