[Sca-cooks] A redaction all of my own

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Fri Dec 7 18:37:38 PST 2001

Whew,
I just finished making my first ever own redacted recipe.  It is still baking and I won't find out what it tastes like until the Baronial "pot-luck" feast tomorrow.  I never realized it could get so complicated.  It took me over an hour to form the coffin.  I guess I need to pin my Mother down when I go home and get her to show me how she works with hot water pastry, because I had a complete nightmare.
Anyway here goes, comments cheerfully accepted.  Apologies for the length.
I made a pie based a little on Pies of Parys and Tartes of Flesh
(C) Pies of Parys. From: Harl. MS. 4016 (ab. 1450), [1]
Take and smyte faire buttes of porke and buttes of vele togidre, and put hit in a faire potte, And putte thereto faire brot [/icons/hstrok.gif] , And a quantite of Wyne, And lete all boile togidre til hit be ynog [/icons/hstrok.gif] ; And þen take hit fro the fire, and lete kele a litel, and cast ther-to raw yolkes of eyren, and pouudre of gyngeuere, sugre and salt, and mynced dates, reysyns of corence: make then coffyns of feyre past, and do it ther-ynne, and keuere it & lete bake y-nog [/icons/hstrok.gif]

(D) Tartes of Fle*h.  From Forme of Cury [2].
Take Pork y*ode and grynde it *male. tarde harde eyren i*ode ygronde and do þto with Che*e ygronde. Take gode powdo and hool *pices, *ug, *a*ron, and *alt & do þto. Make a coffyn as to feel fayde & do þis þinne, plant it w *male bridd i*tyned & conyng & hewe he to *male gobett & bake it as tofore. Sue it forth.

(E) To make pa*te, and to rai*e coffins.  A new booke of cookerie [3]
Take fine flower, and lay it on a boord, & take a certaine of yolkes of Egges as your quantitie of flower is, then take a certaine of Butter and water, and boile the together, but you mu*t take heen ye put not too many yolks of Eggs, for if you doe it will make it dry and not pleas*ant in eating: and ye mu*t take heed ye put not in too much Butter, for if you doe, it wil make it to fine and to *hort that you cannot rai*e: and this pa*te is good to rai*e all manner of Coffins: like wi*e if ye bake Veni*on, bake it in the pa*te above named.
(C) Pies of Parys.
Take and cut good butt of pork and butt of veal together and put it in a good put.  Add fair broth and a quantity of wine and let it all boil together until it is cooked enough.  And then take it from the fire and let it cool a little.  And mix in raw egg yolks, powdered ginger, sugar and salt and minced dates and currents.  Make cases of good pastry and put it therein, and cover it and let it bake enough.
(D) Tartes of Fle*h
Take pork meat and grind it small, mix this with ground hard boiled egg yolks and ground cheese.  Take good (spice) powder and whole spices, sugar, saffron and salt and mix it into the filling.  Make a pastry case, add small bread pieces and rabbit chopped in small pieces and bake it well. Serve it forth.
(E) To make pa*te, and to rai*e coffins.
Take fine flour, and lay it on a board, and take a certain (amount) of egg yolks in proportion to the quantity of flour.  Then take a certain (amount) of butter and water and boil it together.  But, you must take care that you do not put in too many egg yolks, of if you do it will make it (the pastry) dry and not pleasant to eat; and you must take care not to put in too much butter, for if you do it will make it to fine and too short that you cannot raise it.  And this pastry is good to raise all manner of pastry shells.  Likewise, if you bake venison, bake it in the above pastry.
Redacted recipe
Ingredients
For the pastry:
¾lb all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
4 ounces lard
5 fluid ounces water
For the filling:
18 oz trimmed Pork shoulder
12 oz trimmed veal shoulder
2 cups Red wine
2 cups home made chicken stock, enriched with trimmings from pork and veal and reduced to 1 cup
4 egg yolks
¾ cp chopp