[Sca-cooks] A redaction all of my own

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 7 19:03:19 PST 2001

Louise Smithson wrote:

> Redacted recipe
> Ingredients
> For the pastry:
> ¥lb all-purpose flour
> ¢ teaspoon salt
> 4 ounces lard
> 5 fluid ounces water
> For the filling:
> 18 oz trimmed Pork shoulder
> 12 oz trimmed veal shoulder
> 2 cups Red wine
> 2 cups home made chicken stock, enriched with trimmings from pork and veal and reduced to 1 cup
> 4 egg yolks
> ¥ cp chopp

I used a recipe similar to the one in The Proper Newe Boke Of Cookery for the pastry in a quince pie from one of the 15th century sources, IIRC. It behaved a bit differently from a modernish hot-water crust, but it was eminently workable. I found that the main difference was that it did not set up and stiffen the way hot-water-dough does as it cools, or at least not to the same extent. I found, though, that with a top crust sealed in place, it had sufficient structural support from above to keep everything from sagging and drooping all over. I'll see if I can find my quinces in pastry notes, and post anything relevant. If you have any specific questions, lay them on us, and there are several people who, I'm sure, would be glad to help out. A common trick, BTW, is to make sort of girdle for your pie out of folded, stapled parchment or foil. I believe something like flan rings or pie hoops are used in period, at least sometimes, so the idea is not without some foundation in per
iod practice.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy