[Sca-cooks] Habanero Truffles

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Sat Dec 8 08:00:41 PST 2001

Well, I made the first experimental batch of truffles yesterday, and
they turned out about perfect.  I used "cheaper" chocolate for them
(Ghirardelli) instead of the *really* expensive stuff, so I can't wait
to see how they are with the Valrhona.  They weren't hot really - they
didn't bite back when you bit them.  The heat built over a few seconds
after you ate it.  It didn't become overwhelming, but it lingered and
tingled for quite a while.  My super-pepper-sensitive husband ate one
and liked it, though he said it was right on the edge for what he'd eat
again.  But, he liked it!  He really liked it!

Since people were interested in the recipe, here's what I did:

1/4 habanero pepper, chopped finely
8 oz. cream (weight) (about 1 cup)
1 oz. butter (weight) (about 2 tbsp.)
8 oz. chopped/grated dark chocolate
Cocoa powder for rolling

I simmered the habanero in the cream for about 30 minutes, then strained
through cheesecloth.  Put the cream back in the pan with the butter to
melt and reboil.  Take off heat and add chocolate, stirring, to melt.
Put in fridge and cool until it's stiff enough to handle.  Roll into
balls and roll them in cocoa powder.  Warn your friends, surprise your
enemies.

Be cautious handling the habanero - the oil can burn like mad if it
touches a sensitive part of your body.  Like, either wear gloves, or be
careful not to touch your eyes, nose, mouth or (I'm not being crude
here, a friend did this...) genitals until after you've scrubbed really
well (like, wash a load of dishes.)

Have fun!
-Magdalena vander Brugghe