[Sca-cooks] Re: Black Nougat?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 8 11:20:03 PST 2001

Vincente wrote:
>This looks a lot like Provencal black nougat, except for the egg
white.  So
>what role is the egg white playing in the recipe?  I know egg
whites are
>essential in white nougat, in which the whites are beaten stiff and
then the
>sugar syrup is added.  It could possibly be a clarifying agent,
except other
>recipes in the "Llibre" describe the clarifying process in detail,
and this
>particular recipe does not refer to the process.
>Any ideas?

I don't think I will be much help here.  A question, however.  Is
the amount of egg white to honey about the same as in the recipes
where the clarifying process is detailed?  It might be possible that
not all of the recipes give details for clarifying honey.  Do you
have the original?  Does it mention clarifying at all or just add X
amount of egg whites?  What with my new duties and the backlog of
stuff that is already occurring, I hate to admit that I don't have
lots of time to keep up with Cooks' List or with looking up
material.  (Retirement in 2 years!  Won't be Queen then!)

Alys Katharine