[Sca-cooks] Glossary - farms

Thu Dec 13 07:24:07 PST 2001

I think you are probably referring to "farms" or "farmes," which I believe
were the two terms used in Gervase Markham's "The English Hous-wife" of
1615.  Best's edition of Markham points out that these words do not appear
in the OED but that in the context they are used, they are intestines used
as sausage casings.

In working from the original recipe taken from Sass' "To the Queen's Taste,"
I translated "farms" as "forms" and used bowls to shape the puddings, which
did not set properly.  When I was later able to compare this recipe with the
other pudding recipes in the same section of Markham, my error became
obvious.

Bear