[Sca-cooks] eggnog/caudle/possets

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Dec 14 16:43:00 PST 2001

> That sounds cool!  Sure, I'd love the whole recipe.
>
> -Magdalena
>
> Dan Phelps wrote:
> > There is a really tasty sack posset (eggnog?) recipe in Martha
> Washington's
> > Book of Cookery which I have made on several occasions.  It's a cooked
> > eggnog sort of thing. If I recall correctly 14 egg yolks, seven egg
> whites,
> > a cup of sherry, a pint of heavy cream, a half a pound of sugar, half a
> > nutmeg and some amberguis, the amberguis is optional.

You might be interested in looking at some other similar recipes as
well. Check these files in the Florilegium:
caudles-art       (12K) 11/21/97    A medieval drink of warm wine or
beer
                                       thickened with eggs by Tibor.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudles-art.html
caudls-posets-msg (12K)  9/21/01    Caudles and Possets. Thickened
beverages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudls-posets-msg.html

In fact, there is a previous message in the second file from Daniel
where he gives the recipe from Martha Washington's cookbook.

Stefan li Rous
(Who vividly remembers a Motorola Christmas party a number of years
ago. Alcohol at Motorola facilities is grounds for dismissal. Someone
brought in a spiked carton. So on the table of goodies, with everyone
gathered around, were three cartons of eggnog. One spiked, the others
normal. My boss's boss, a VP, came by to wish everyone a Happy Holiday
and decided to have some eggnog while he was there. Everyone held their
breath to see which carton he would choose. Either he got one of the
right ones, or he was very good at not letting on)