[Sca-cooks] Swallenberg Sauce

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 16 20:22:12 PST 2001

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:20:40 -0600
From: "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
>  > Swallenberg (garlic & ginger) sauce
>
>Tried this for the pot luck at our Yule Revel. I wasn't that
>impressed. However, the populace was. They liked it much better
>than the marzipan peach pits that I made. The Baron told me
>twice how much he liked them, but I got only one vote (with
>game pieces issued to the populace) for this but I got seven
>for the sauce. I thought the peach pits would be a "sure
>winner" (which I would have turned down as Event Steward) but
>didn't happen.

Hmm, i don't think i'd call it a garlic and ginger sauce. Ours was a
honey, wine and garlic sauce at the Boar Hunt last weekend. I thought
it was quite good. I've got a pint of it in the 'fridge - i like it
mixed with the horseradish sauce i made (fresh horseradish, finely
ground almonds, white wine, sugar, and salt) on the left-over pork
roast.

One of my helpers - who reads this list - Mistress Rose de la Mans -
was in charge of making the Swallenberg Sauce at the Boar Hunt. She
had made it before for some of her own feasts. Somehow my recipe
tasted different than her recipe.

I suspect that different folks make a different sauce depending on
how much of each ingredient they use.

Here's my version - for 80 diners - actually i think it would have
done for 150 diners :-) i always make too much sauce...

Swallenberg Sauce - Ein Buch von Guter Spise, 14th c.
5 cups white German wine
5 cups honey
2-1/2 tsp ginger
1-1/4 tsp pepper
5 TB garlic, minced fine
1-1/2 TB salt
10 egg whites, beaten, but not foamy

1. Over medium-low heat, mix wine and honey, stirring until honey is dissolved.
2. Add seasonings
3. Simmer until flavorful.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. When almost ready to serve, temper the egg whites with warm sauce,
stirring the whites well.
6. Gradually add the tempered egg whites to the sauce, stirring
constantly, and simmer until it becomes brownish.

NOTES:
At the Boar Hunt, Rose used red wine rather than the white i had for the sauce.
Also, Rose tossed in whole garlic cloves - i don't know if she used
any of the minced garlic i had on hand
AND Rose showed me - it was pretty neat - the egg whites turned GREEN
when a little sauce was added to them!

Let me note that Rose makes absolutely beautiful and delicious Faux
Peach Pits. I know i like them better than Swallenberg Sauce, even
really good Swallenberg Sauce :-)

Anahita