[Sca-cooks] Swallenberg Sauce

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 08:20:33 PST 2001

>  > Stefan mentioned Swallenberg (garlic & ginger) sauce
>Tried this for the pot luck at our Yule Revel. I wasn't that
>impressed. However, the populace was. They liked it much better
>
>Anahita said:
>Hmm, i don't think i'd call it a garlic and ginger sauce. Ours was a
>honey, wine and garlic sauce at the Boar Hunt last weekend. I thought
>Here's my version - for 80 diners - actually i think it would have
>done for 150 diners :-) i always make too much sauce...
><snip redaction>
>NOTES:
>At the Boar Hunt, Rose used red wine rather than the white i had for the
sauce.
>Also, Rose tossed in whole garlic cloves - i don't know if she used
>any of the minced garlic i had on hand
>AND Rose showed me - it was pretty neat - the egg whites turned GREEN
>when a little sauce was added to them!

And here's yet another redaction <laff>, as promised last week:
49. A good sauce. [Swallenberg Sauce]
Take wine and honey, put that on the fire, let it boil, and add ground
ginger more than pepper. Pound garlic, not too much, however, make it
strong, and stir with a stick. Let it boil until it starts smoking. This you
should eat in cold weather, and is called Sauce à la Swallenberg.

My redaction for 2 - 4 people:
100 ml White Wine
1 TB honey
.25 tsp ground black pepper
.5 tsp ground ginger
.5 clove (or tsp) garlic puree
pinch salt

Notes: Followed recipe. Any more honey would over sweeten the sauce and make
it cloying. We both really liked this, it had a very tantalising
sweet/sourish taste to it caused by the honey/garlic balance, and the
ginger/garlic taste comes through nicely. Very runny however.

Question to Anahita: Did you add egg whites to thicken the sauce?  What was
the reasoning behind it? Have you got documentation for that usage or is it
a modern addition? (I'm somewhat hoping for the former - I found even when
reduced down, this was extremely runny :-p)

Ciao
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
mailto:thorngrove at yahoo.com |  http://www.geocities.com/thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.