[Sca-cooks] sumac

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 16 21:59:08 PST 2001

> Sumac isn't that poison,or an irritant.               .chirhart  (Or is
> there a safe kind)

The red sumac is safe to use as a seasoning or to make a tea with. I
know I've bought it locally. I've also bought it from the Pepperer's
Guild at Pennsic.

The type of sumac you do NOT want to use, is poison sumac. The
berries from this sumac are white. This plant, both the leaves
and the berries have effects similar to poison ivy and poison oak.
Do NOT use poison sumac for cooking.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net