[Sca-cooks] Wedding Cake Advice (OOP)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 28 08:42:19 PST 2001

Your friend needs to decide what sort of cake she wants, as Finn mentioned
(milk chocolate, dark, bittersweet, whichever) and what sort of
covering. White icing is usually made from a white fat (lard, hydrogenated
vegetable shortening) rather than butter, or it has a lot of icing
whitener in it if it's a butter base. White fats have very little flavor
of their own and tend to be very sweet. You can also flavor them with
pretty much any extract that is clear--the only use for imitation vanilla
extract, as natural vanilla will tint the icing.

She can also opt for a marzipan or a fondant covering. Marzipan is
almond-flavored, as you know, while rolled fondant is usually left
unflavored and is pretty much just sweet. When using fondant, commonly a
thin layer of marzipan is laid down first to provide a smooth foundation
for the fondant.

With that in mind, there are a number of options for filling. Orange curd,
orange marmalade, orange pastry cream, orange-flavored icing. Regardless
of which you choose, when you fill your layers, you will want to put a
barrier of icing around the edge as a retaining wall to keep the filling
from leaking out with the pressure of the upper layer. Use the coupler
without the tip on it, or a very large round tip, and just lay it down
nice and thick.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's (_The Cake Bible_) mousseline buttercream recipe
makes a really wonderful filling--it's like satin, without being too
sweet. You'd flavor it with liqueur, like Grand Marnier.

Feel free to email me privately with other questions--I love talking
cakes. ;-)

Margaret