[Sca-cooks] nougat pstmortem

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:47:47 PST 2001

As you all may remember, I've been fiddling with nougats recently. We had
our baronial A&S championship this past weekend, and I entered a soft nougat
from the Manuscrito Anonimo, among other things.  The dish is called
mu'aqqad of sugar, and calls for a syrup of rosewater and sugar in a 2:1
ratio.  Heat the syrup, then whip the eggwhites until they are foamy. When
the syrup is ready, toss the eggwhites in the pot on top of the syrup and
beat steadily until the mixture takes on a pasty consistency.  Add equal
weights of almonds and pistachios, and serve.

The resulting nougat was very soft, and did not harden much even in the
freezer.  It was a rather humid night, which may have had some effect.
Also, modern white nougat recipes involve adding the syrup to the eggwhites
in a slow stream, rather than dumping the eggwhites in on the sugar.  From
what I understand of sugar syrups, the hotter the syrup, the harder the
resulting candy.  I had the syrup at about 330 degrees.  I beat the
eggwhites to the hard-peak stage, but could not add them immediately as the
syrup was not ready.  By the time it was, the eggwhites were beginning to
weep.  The stuff was tasty, but difficult to eat with the fingers.  I had
hoped for a harder candy.

Any ideas? Should I try it in drier weather?  Make the syrup hotter?  Whip
the eggwhites sooner?  Cross my eyes and say ooga booga? :-)

Vicente

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson