[Sca-cooks] Group Arms

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 20 09:57:38 PST 2001

Kiri commented:
> Actually...even worse are the crosses bottony that are on our Barony's arms
> (feeling guilty 'cause I'm responsible...I designed them).  I haven't
> actually
> appliqued them, though I have two good friends who have and I admire their
> fortitude, but I have painted the arms several few times over the
> years...and
> they're a pain in the "well anyway"!!  (For those unfamiliar with the names
> for
> the multiplicity of crosses in heraldry, these are the ones with the little
> bumps
> on each arm...taken from the arms of the State of Maryland).

Interesting about where you got this particular piece of your group's
heraldry. This is the kind of detail that I like to have in my
SCA history section of the Florilegum, particularly the
placenames-msg files.

Kiri, could you please send me a message detailing your groups
arms including this info and any other you know about how or why
particular pieces were chosen? I don't believe I have any info on
the history or meaning of your group's name, either.

I'm sure I don't have such details for all the groups everyone is in.
For some of your groups I probably don't even have any mention of
what the origin of the name is. If you have time this holiday
season, take a quick look through my placenames-msg and placenames2-msg
files and see what you can find about the groups you know of. I'd
like to get a bunch of this stuff down before the folks that helped
decide a group's name leave the SCA and the info is lost forever.

placenames-msg   (110K) 10/ 4/00    Origins and meanings of SCA
placenames.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames-msg.html
placenames2-msg   (48K) 10/ 4/00    More origins and meanings of SCA
placenmaes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames2-msg.html

Many SCA group names are chosen because of local landmarks.
Sometimes they are translations of particular things and
sometimes what they end up saying and what they were supposed to
say are two different things. For instance, my own barony, Bryn
Gwlad, was supposed to be Welsh for "Hill Country" since we are
on the edge of the Texas Hill Country. However, it actually means
something closer to "land of the unnamed hill".

Hey, for those "itching" to get into the Florilegium, here is a
way to do it! :-)

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net