[Sca-cooks] Re: Cook's Illustrated; brining

Amanda Baker sca-cooks at treaclemine.cix.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 01:40:24 PST 2001

Greetings from Wales!

        (BTW, niccolo, there's some small problem with your email software;
as you might have noticed, there is an '=' sign appended to the end of each of
your lines of text.  Someone should be able to fix this for you... I hope I've
got my email problems sorted! :-)

niccolo said:

> What no one has mentioned so far is that there are NO ADVERTISEMENTS.  this
> is what drew me there to start out, and the methods and diversity of material
> have kept me there.  some issues are lame, others outstanding.  I use the
brined
> double-cut pork chops almost weekly.

        Brining.  I've never done it, having long eaten food with very
little added
salt from taste preference (and recently, with a thyroid condition, become
sensitive to iodine in table salt).  Can any experts on the list explain
brining:
flavour, texture and cooking changes; any alternative techniques which can (at
least in part) acheive similar beneficial changes?

> You could do worse for $25 for 6 issues. Recipes, book reviews, technique
hints,
> wine reviews, equipment testing, and easy-to-read format.  I love it when I
> disagree with their assumptions and/or techiniques.

        Although the Website subscription is USA$25 p.a. (USA$20 to magazine
subscribers), the magazine is USA$31 to Canada, USA$37 'international' (as if
Canada were not a different country to the USA [FX: Sigh]).  So, I'm convinced
that I need "Cook's Illustrated", but I need persuading that it is worth getting
the hardcopy magazine: can anyone compare the magazine and the Website for me?

        Many thanks!

        Amanda