[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 20 22:02:07 PST 2001

What no one has mentioned so far is that there are NO ADVERTISEMENTS.  this is what drew me there to start out, and the methods and diversity of material have kept me there.  some issues are lame, others outstanding.  I use the brined double-cut pork chops almost weekly.  You could do worse for $25 for 6 issues.  Recipes, book reviews, technique hints, wine reviews, equipment testing, and easy to read format.  I love it whenI disagree with their assumptions and/or techiniques.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

Amanda queried:
>  Does anyone on the list subscribe to either "Cook's Illustrated" the
magazine, or > I'm up being given a subscription to one or other for a
seasonal gift...

        I do!  I do!  I'm a fan of this magazine.  Have been getting a
subscription for about a year now,  and I really enjoy it.  The writers talk
about their failures,  how they came upon the  "right" technique/recipe.
They explain the chemistry/physics of cooking & baking very well.  The
recipes are not so "hoyty-toty"  yet not too basic either.  A good balance:
something for a beginner cook, yet intriguing for a skilled cook.

    If I could only choose  *one* cooking mag,  this might be it . . . . .

    Caointairn