[Sca-cooks] REDACTION CHALLENGE, OR, THIS PUD'S FOR YOU - TARDPOLANE

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 22 04:40:36 PST 2001

All right, ladiesunjennelmun greatroom greatroom...

It's time to playyyyyy...

<up with cheesy '50's TV organist>

_RRRREDACTIONNNNN... CHALLENNNNNNNNJJJJJJJJJJJ_

Brought to you by SCA-Cooks, The List That Reads Like a Meal (tm)...

Awright, I was going to go on and on with your brilliantined host, Orv
Norville, and all, but you get the idea. For those new to this, we
haven't done it for quite some time, as I recall, but the gist is that
somebody posts a period recipe. You post your idea of a modern-type
recipe, as in, adapted for modern cooks, with quantities, cooking times,
and sequential instructions. More or less. As always, we are supportive,
polite (quit shoving, UlfR), and informative, or at least we think we
are, so anybody, even total novices, can play without fear, because we
all know what happens to people who aren't supportive and polite. They
become the next... REDACTIONNNNN... CHALLENNNNNJJJJJJJJ.

Now, this has NOTHING at all to do with the fact that this dish will be
served at EK 12th Night... dismiss that from your mind! Would I let this
list do my work for me??? Of course not!

Anyway, here's the recipe, per Constance Hieatt and Robin Jones' "Two
Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited from British Library
Manuscripts Additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii", Speculum, v.61 October
1986, pp 859-882 :

"11. TARDPOLENE [custard tarts with fruit]. Here is another dish, which
is called tardpolene. Take and combine flour and sugar, and mix into
pastry with almond milk; make cases of this pastry two fingers in
height; then take pears, dates, almonds, figs, and raisins, and put in
liquid and spices and grind together; add egg yolk and a piece of good,
soft cheese, not too old, and plenty of whole eggs; then put them [the
pastry cases filled with the above mixture] to cook; brush the tops with
egg yolk, then serve."

Hieatt and Jones seem to have decided that the name should be spelled
tardpolene, even though the original manuscript (late thirteenth-century
Anglo-Norman) seems to spell it tardpolane. I'm not sure why, unless
versions of the recipe appear elsewhere under that name, and there's
reason to believe that was the more common spelling. If so, I'm not
aware of it.

Winning entries should be express shipped to Woodside, Queens, New York...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com