[Sca-cooks] Irish beef

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 24 22:54:24 PST 2001

Brighid ni Chiarain replied to me with:
> On 23 Dec 2001, at 16:22, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Hmmm. Considering the proverbial poorness of the Irish, is Irish
> > beef, really beef? :-)
>
> Yes, unless I was hallucinating all those cows I saw when I was
> over there.

Well, yes. And I'll assume you can tell the differance between a cow
and a bull, but I don't think that affects this particular discussion. :-)

However, that is today, not necessarily in period. Secondly, even
if those are definitely cows and in Ireland, that just says they
are Irish Cows. Not necessarily Irish Beef. If the cattle get shipped
elsewhere, say England, before being turned into beef, is that Irish
Beef or English Beef?

Yes, I am writing partially in jest. But this does remind me of the
situation just prior to the potato failure in Ireland. I doubt too
many Irish were eating beef then.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net