[Sca-cooks] ham advice

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Dec 25 17:40:50 PST 2001

I have a question about this ham I did for Christmas dinner.

It is "old fashioned Junior Johnson Brand old fashioned sugar-cured country
ham"  dry-cured in the Eastern slopes and foothills of the blue ridge
mountains.  distributed by suncrest farms in wilkesboro, NC.  Cured with
salt, white sugar, brown sugar, sodium nitrate, and pepper.

I followed the instructions which were:

baking:  completely skin and trim ham.  Soak overnight in cold water.  Wrap
ham completely in heavy aluminum foil in a manner to retain juices and pour
approximately 1 1/2 cups of water insdie the aluminum wrap.  Bake at 350
degrees for approximately 20 minutes per pound.

I did all that, and it still turned out overly salty.  My Dad's idea is to
reheat the ham when we want to bring some water to boil in a sauce pan and
drop the meat in long enough to heat it, he thinks maybe the water will
draw the salt out.  How much do you think it will ruin the taste of the ham
to do that.  Other than it being salty, it tastes good.

Any other ideas.  It turned out to be around a 9 pound ham after cutting
all the fat off.  It was requested that I make split pea soup with the bone
and the remaining ham that's left when we get tired of it.

Any ideas you may give are greatly appreciated.

	Angeline