[Sca-cooks] ham advice

Diana Haven tantralya at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 25 18:22:36 PST 2001

Happy Holiday Angeline!!

I have had a few salty hams - unfortunately, I like them salty....bad for
the blood pressure...

Split pea soup is the loveliest thing - we use two bags (I think they are 1
lb each) to the bone, and about a pound of meat.  Easiest thing to make
too - about 3 cups of water for each lb of dried peas, 1 small onion per bag
of dried peas and the ham bone.  Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and
cook until the meat falls off the bone.

If you have also made turkey, you can do a turkey/ham/brie salad.  Chop
turkey and ham small, pinch off bits of brie (a pound of each), mix in a
goodly amount of mayo (preferably homemade), 5 tablespoons of prepared
mustard, 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard, 1/2 small onion diced small, 3
tablespoons or more of pickle relish and a bit of garlic if you wish. Serve
on foccacia bread.

I hope this helps with the left overs!

We had a nice leg of lamb, small (18 lb) turkey, and an 8 lb ham - for 12
people.  Add in a little smashed taters, steamed corn and cranberry sauce
and you have our lil holiday dinner.  Of course, that didn't include the
appetizers set out for the first 5 hours...or dessert