[Sca-cooks] eating from couches or lounges

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Dec 27 20:32:04 PST 2001

Huette said:
> But pews are very uncomfortable.  Intentionally so, so
> that you will stay awake for the sermon or homily.  We
> at the Asylum have comfy couches and chaise longues.
> Much better for eating pears and brie on.

I have wondered about some of this. Specifically, eating from those
comfy couches or chase lounge things like the Romans were supposed
to have done.

Seems like it would be messy to me, with a good part of the food
ending up on your chest rather than down your throat. Especially
when eating things like pears in wine sauce. And especially without
forks. I don't remember seeing any pictures of the Romans wearing
bibs.

Perhaps this was like Chinese footbinding or those long sleeved,
dagged medieval gowns. To flaunt the fact that you had servents to do
those things for you.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net