[Sca-cooks] eating from couches or lounges

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 28 05:48:33 PST 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Huette said:
> > But pews are very uncomfortable.  Intentionally so, so
> > that you will stay awake for the sermon or homily.  We
> > at the Asylum have comfy couches and chaise longues.
> > Much better for eating pears and brie on.
>
> I have wondered about some of this. Specifically, eating from those
> comfy couches or chase lounge things like the Romans were supposed
> to have done.
>
> Seems like it would be messy to me, with a good part of the food
> ending up on your chest rather than down your throat. Especially
> when eating things like pears in wine sauce. And especially without
> forks. I don't remember seeing any pictures of the Romans wearing
> bibs.
>
> Perhaps this was like Chinese footbinding or those long sleeved,
> dagged medieval gowns. To flaunt the fact that you had servents to do
> those things for you.

When you think of Romans reclining on their couches, think of a daybed
sort of affair, rather than a chaise longue. You recline on your side,
supported by a lot of pillows and possibly one arm, while you feed
yourself with the other. Adamantius could probably demonstrate the proper
manner. :-)

It's also how one is supposed to eat a Seder meal, but houses are woefully
undersupplied with proper couches these days. One year we ate on the floor
with pillows--it was kind of like being on couches, but closer to the
cats.

Margaret