[Sca-cooks] Question re. arab recipe "Samak Madhkhur"

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 16:16:47 PST 2001

Hi Everyone!

Thought I'd ask a couple of questions about a fish dish from "Medieval arab
cookery" before I attempt it :-)

- page 481 "Samak Madhkhur" is.... "raw fish fillets sprinkled with salt and
spices, rolled up in orange and citron leaves and stored in vinegar until
you want to fry them"

Citron leaves?? - is this a particular plant or can I substitute something
like lemon tree leaves?

I found the following spice mixture - would this be the one to use? (and how
*important* would be the inclussion of "Common ash"? - I'm of course
assuming this is ash from the fire and not ash tree leaves?)

- page 484 "Atraf al-tib was a spice mix. K. Wulsla gives this recipe for it
: spikenard, betel, laurel leaf, nutmeg, mace cardamom, cloves, rose hips,
common ash, long pepper, ginger and pepper"

And finally - how long can you keep it stored in the vinegar?  Would it have
a marinating affect? Would too long an immersion risk the eater to food
poisoning (I'm thinking storage in the days here) or is simply an overnight
soaking??

Enquiring minds are wanting to know and possibly cook for a feast :-)

Thanks!!

Mari