[Sca-cooks] Question re. arab recipe "Samak Madhkhur"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 28 17:57:53 PST 2001

Mari asked:
> - page 481 "Samak Madhkhur" is.... "raw fish fillets sprinkled with salt and
> spices, rolled up in orange and citron leaves and stored in vinegar until
> you want to fry them"
>
> Citron leaves?? - is this a particular plant or can I substitute something
> like lemon tree leaves?

I'm not sure about whether lemon leaves would work or not. It is
possible that the original really meant lemon tree leaves but was
mis-translated. This is brought up in this file in the FOOD-FRUITS
section of the Florilegium:
fruit-citrus-msg  (45K)  3/26/01    Period citrus fruits. Recipes.

However, the following is also from that file:

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net