[Sca-cooks] Apple Moye was: Queens Battle!

bill mayfield wpmay at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:57:09 PST 2001

So Athelwulf, how did your Apple Moyle come out?  And I've been meaning to
ask if you ever got in touch with my sister.
Olwen

     It turned out very well and the table grew quiet
      when it was served(chilled) Even Mom and Granny,
    who both are so staid in the foods they like, said
    it was good.
      The recipe i used follows:
    Book:Sallets,Humbles&Shrewsbery Cakes A collection of
       Elizabethan Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
      Author: Ruth Anne Beebe
   page 70
            Take Apples,and cut them in two or foure peeces,
             boyle them till they be soft,and bruise them in a morter,
             and put thereto the yolks of two Eggs,and a litle
             sweet butter,set them on a chafingdish of coales,and
             boyle them a litle,and put thereto a litle Sugar,
             synamon and Ginger,and so serve them in

           8-10 apples
         1/4 cup of water
         2 egg yolks
         2 tablespoons Butter
         1 teaspoon ea. cinnamon and ginger
        1/2 cup of sugar

     peel and core apples,quarter them and place in a sauce pan
       with the water.Bring to a boil,then simmer for about 20 minutes
     or until tender.Mash the apples with a fork and blend in egg yolks
     butter spices and sugar.cook over a low heat stirring occasionally
     for another 10 minutes.Serve hot or chilled.

    the only changes I made were in the sugar.I used a natural cane
     sugar(not processed,white sugar).I used a "flame guard" when i did
   the 2nd heating( 4 soup can lids in a square wrapped with tinfoil)
   a trick i use to not burn sauces and such.

    Aethelwulf