FW: [Sca-cooks] Queston on Dates for Recipes

Gary Walker gerekr at ravensgard.org
Mon Dec 31 12:11:39 PST 2001

> After an hour or more reading and looking for dates
> in a book I am at the end of my patience and out
> of ideas of where to look.
> I am using The Medieval Kitchen  Redon,Sabbon&Serventi
> pages 221-222 spice mixes.  I havent found a date/dates for
> the recipes cited.
> Also using Early French Cookery  D. Eleanor Sully and T. Scully
> pages 55-56 spice mix and pgs. 60-62 Almond Milk
> same dilemma.....no date or dates.
> Am I missing something or Am I not looking in the right places
> for the dates I seek?

I -did- find the other responses to this this morning, after all, but may
still have a bit to add --

DETAILED explantion for Redon : the recipes in the main body of Redon
(Medieval Kitchen) give little letter-and-number codes in parentheses at the
end of the recipe texts.

You take those codes and go to the "recipes by MS source" section WAY at the
back, that starts on p. 260, and find what manuscript goes with the letters
part of the code.

then go to the main bibliography, starting on p. 257, for more complete info
on the source.  often date info must be extrapolated from this section, but
it IS "more" than with the recipe or in the p. 260 section

in Aethelwulf's example, the spices on 221/222 refer to "Fr40" -- which is
"Lucovico Frati, editor, Libro di cucina del secolo XIV" per page 262 -- and
the complete citation for Frati on p 257 doesn't give any more info about
the original, so you're left with "secolo XIV" or 14th Century, that is:
1301-1400.

--------

The Scully Early French Cookery is the one with the long discussion of the
sources in the introduction, not Redon (I just checked my Redon).  You can
get round-about info on the general dates of the three sources in the text,
and some fairly detailed publication info about modern versions from the
footnotes.  the spice mixes on p.55-56 refer to Menagier, which the intro
section defines as "late 1300s" (p.11).  Oh, the recipe on p.62 also says
Menagier, so there you are.  such as it is.

hope this helps in future.

M Chimene, An Tir