[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Dec 1 09:23:56 PST 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> So, what's _on_ these restrictive lists....
<snip>
> Is that medicinal
> in the modern sense? Does it take into account all the period theories
> on humors, etc? And what about "cosmetic" types of things, like hand
> creams, and lotions, to which one might add something to help with dry
> skin, or ease a rash????

I suspect they are trying to limit liability in case someone uses tansy
or pennyroyal and accidentally hurts someone. Of course it is my opinion
that the more you try to limit liability, the more you actually open
yourself up, because then you are basically saying that you know it's
dangerous, rather than leaving it to common sense.

I say take Chicken Little out to the backyard, and start a pot of water
on the stove... but that is strictly _my_ opinion... ;-)

'Lainie