[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Sun Dec 2 19:46:16 PST 2001

Maire wrote:

>So, what's _on_ these restrictive lists....I've never heard of such a
>thing.....

The MK A&S rules can be found online on the Middle Kingdom website
by pointing your browser at:

http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/criteria/contents.html

The Prohibited and Restricted herb list, which I would like to again
point out is being revised along with the entry categories that use
them can be found at:

http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/criteria/proscribed.html

>  Is that medicinal in the modern sense?

The rules state in total as follows for the Herbcraft category:

      The category encompasses all useful, pleasant and comfortable
      preparations of herbs. There are three broad subcategories
      which will be judged:

      * Culinary: teas, seasonings, herb candies, preserves, etc.
      * Comfort and comestic: perfume, soaps, lotions, green salves, etc.
      * Ornamental: dye stuffs, potpourri, pomanders, rose beads, etc.

      Any herbal preparation that is used for medical, magical or
      poisonous uses will not be eligible for entry into the A & S Faire.
      Any herbs and spices used in the entry must be listed in the
      documentation with their Latin botanical names and must be in
      compliance with the Prohibited and Restricted Herbs list.

The rules as such are unclear about many things related to plants and
under close scrutiny right now.

>Admittedly, I'm in a different kingdom (Artemisia), but isn't this a bit
>of legislating things to death?

Perhaps, which is why all portions of the A&S criteria addressing the use
of herbs, whether in the Herbcraft category or otherwise, are being looked
at and likely significantly revised.

Iasmin