[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Cooks' Collegium

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 2 20:41:03 PST 2001

Alys Katharine described the recent Middle Kingdom Cooks' Collegium
and mentioned some of the foods at the feast that night and
mentioned:
> canishones

What are these?

> and wow! a fresh cheese coated in a flavored sugar syrup,

Interesting. Sounds like a rather unusual combination. What kind
of cheese was this done with? A recently made cream? or farmers
type cheese? A rather mild cheese so that it didn't conflict with
the sugar syrup, I guess. Did this form a hard shell? Or did it
mostly just soak into the cheese? Or was it more like a coating of
sugarpaste? Do we have any evidence of this treatment for cheese
being period?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net