[Sca-cooks] Cooking rice in feast quantities

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Sun Dec 2 21:51:26 PST 2001

His Grace Cariadoc wrote for others:

>The solution is to bring the water to a boil, add the rice, bring it
>back to a boil (stirring some), cover, turn off the heat and wait.
>With large volumes, the rice stays hot long enough to  cook itself.
>Since you are turning off the heat before the rice becomes sticky,
>you can do it without scorching.

I've used this method for cooking certain types of rice at home, and
have found it useful even in the context of small batch cooking. For
the situations you describe, kitchens with limited or no viable
space, it sounds like a fine idea to add to cooks' bags of tricks.

Because of the types of sites with kitchens available in my area,
however, I tend to make rice in quantity in the oven instead of on
the stovetop. I use this method for bulghur and barley as well. I
also use the oven method for when I do a lot of pre-cooking at home.

Iasmin