[Sca-cooks] vanilla beans

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 22:17:03 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/3/2001 1:02:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> However, I did buy several vanilla beans from the Pepper's Guild at
> this last Pennsic. Can someone tell me how to use the things? I'd also
> be interested in hearing any good things to do with them. Period
> recipes preferred, but other recipes/ideas welcome, also.

Stefan,
You could make a few slits in a bean then put it in your sugar canister, or
place it in a bottle of vodka. When cooking a sauce or custard scrape the
inside of the bean to get the seeds out and use them. I don't know of any
period recipes that use vanilla.

Annan