[Sca-cooks] Cooking rice in feast quantities

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Dec 2 23:31:30 PST 2001

Brighid asks:

>Your Grace,
>
>I suspect I'm not the only one who would like more detail about this
>method.  What quantity of rice did you use in one pot?  What was
>the proportion of water to rice?  And how long does it take to finish
>cooking?

I used 33 cups of basmati rice and a ratio of 1 3/4 c of water per
cup of rice; if I did it again with the same rice I might increase
the water slightly. Different varieties of rice differ in how much
water they need.

I don't know when it finished cooking, but  less than an hour after I
brought the water back to a boil, that being about when I delivered
it to the servers. One advantage of this approach is that it frees up
the burner for the last hour or so--and you don't have to be paying
attention to the rice during that time either.

Alban asks:

>I've always wondered something about this method: as the water
>is absorbed and the water level goes down, wouldn't the rice on top
>get too little and the rice on the bottom get too much?

The rice on the top is a little drier, but not much. The pot is
covered, so the whole thing is full of steam. And of course, when you
start, the water level is well above the top of the rice.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law
ddfr at best.com